Couponing 101- Step 2- Get Your Grocery Store Info.

 


I stop by Publix & grab the weekly flyer and a couple of the yellow monthly flyers- the yellow flyers give all the special sales that remain throughout the month & offer coupons to boot! If it isn't convenient to "just stop by" you can go to the site: http://www.publix.com/ and click on weekly flyer - it will show you the weekly specials, BOGO's, and allow you to click on and print out a personalized list.

If you don't have a Publix- check your local store web page & see what they have to offer.
Personally, I like to make a list online & I like to grab a paper from the store- it is easier to see what the prices are that way sometimes & I can reach out and grab it when I'm putting all my info together for the "shopping trip".

Once you know what is on sale and what you are going after - you go through your nifty binder and pull out the matching coupons that you have amassed. If you have Publix- you can check http://www.iheartpublix.com/  - Kroger you can check http://www.iheartkroger.com/  to see what coupons should be available for that week.

I just put the coupons for the week into an envelope and attach it to the weekly flyer and list with a paper clip. Your goal (as long as your store allows it) is to put one store coupon and one manufacturer coupon on each item.

For example: If  Libby canned olives are on sale at Publix - Buy One Get One for $2.18
If you have Walgreens or Target (local competitor) coupons for $.50 off  & 2 manufacturers coupons from Libby's for $.50 off - you start with $2.18 for 2 products or  $1.09 each-  put $.50 store & $.50 man. coupon on one and you'll put $.50 store & $.50 man. on the other can- lowering your total spent on BOTH items to .......$.18 or $.09 each can of Libby's olives! Now that's a bargin!

In some places there are double coupon days - if you live in one of these dreamy states- you can walk away with loads of free stuff. (NOT impossible even if you do!)

This week I got 2 Colgate coupons for $1.00 off in Sunday's paper- Walmart had Colgate on sale for $1.00 each soooooooooo...... I got 2 Free tubes of toothpaste. I found a $1.00 coupon on floss & Walmart had the floss on sale for $.97 sooooooo..... I actually made a few cents. I also had 2 $75 off coupons for Colgate and went ahead and picked up 2 more tubes for just $.25 each.

They had large cans of specialty tomato sauce on sale for $1.00 and I had $1.00 off on 2- so they were $.50 each. Those coupons came from one of the little electronic store machines that say "take one" - ALWAYS take 2 and watch for the item to go on BOGO!

You can see that no matter where you shop - you can get great deals if you have your system in place & do a little prepwork. I checked the Walmart flyer and the http://www.iheartthemart.com/  site before my trip to Walmart- so I knew what I was going for.

For the first few weeks of couponing - it can be a little overwhelming. I remember thinking -"why did I even buy the papers this week ? there is nothing here i need!"  But, there is probably more there than you realize.

After about 4-6 weeks, on average, is when it starts to really come together & you realize that 1 grocery store trip that saved you $75 - $100 is well worth the printer ink, time, and money on newspapers!
Then you realize that you can never pay full price again! It's like leaving money on the table-

No comments:

Post a Comment